Friday, September 2, 2011

First Day of School - Fall 2011

Kaitlyn officially started second grade last week as we continued our adventures in homeschooling.  We've made some major changes in how we are running our little school and after a challenging year in first grade trying to figure it out, we are going back to the style we used in Kinder.  Relaxed!  I learned a lot about myself as a home educator last year and about how my daughter learns best and about how best to be her teacher.  That's another post for another day...if I get around to it.  She has an amazing love of learning and reading and I am so blessed to be her teacher.  I am learning a lot with her as well and am finding true joy in being a homeschooling momma. I am sure we will still have some speed bumps along the way, but I just know it's going to be an awesome year!

Ryan started his first day back at Mission Baptist Academy as a big pre-K-4 student.  We can't believe how much he grew this summer!  He was so excited to start school with Ms. O'Hara as his teacher and spend 4 mornings a week with his little 4 year old buddies.  Here are some first day of school pictures for you to enjoy.





Kaitlyn's school day started with handwriting/letter formation practice in the shower with shaving cream and continued with some spelling practice as we played Appletters at Starbucks over a fancy coffee drink for me, a strawberry milk for her, and a doughnut for each of us.  I can assure you that the treats at Starbucks are not part of our everyday homeschooling routine, though the creative learning is.  ;)  Next we headed over to Sophie's for some independent work and our last hair appointments before our awesome stylist takes a couple of months off to have a baby.  Here's a picture of our spelling...taking and posting pictures of our handwriting would have been wildly inappropriate! ;)

No comments: