One of the things that impresses me about this country is their work ethic. Sometimes I think they work too hard. This is evident in the lives of the children who go to school all day, then go meet with an English tutor or go to an English class and are only on the playgrounds on the weekends, sometimes only on Sundays. It is also common for the Korean children to go to English school where they are taught their subjects in English. The job market in Korea is very competitive and their future often depends on whether or not they speak English. Many of the field trippers today had two teachers. One (usually a Canadian) teaching them in English and the other a Korean National speaking Korean. It was cool to see how the Korean English schools operated. As usual, the Korean kids enjoyed the Americans at the museum as well. They were photographed and doted on. Some turned really shy, some were a little weirded out (upper elementary/middle school boys kept telling some of the little guys in our group that they loved them-I think they were just practicing the English they knew, not trying to be creepy), and others loved the attention. It was cute to watch their different little personalities come out in unique and strange situations.
Sorry folks, no pictures with this post, but if you are interested in seeing where we went, here's the website for the Gwacheon National Science Museum. While I remembered to bring the camera, I left the memory card in the computer after dumping our last few outings last night. Fortunately a friend was kind enough to take a few pictures of the kids for me. I'll add them when I get them and get a moment.



No comments:
Post a Comment